Local law 87
The Department of Buildings announced in September of 2014 the availability of Deferrals and Extensions for the filing of LL87: Energy Audits and Retro-commissioning.
As a reminder, Local law 87 ( LL87) mandates that most NYC buildings over 50,000 square feet undergo a periodic energy audit and retro-commissioning measures and that owners submit an Energy Efficiency Report once every 10 years. Failure to file these reports will result in a DOB violation and $3000 civil penalty.
For more information, including eligibility details and application paperwork, click the links below to directly download each DOB service update:
- Owners may file an extension until October 1 of each year (Note: the extension deadline for 2014 cycle has already passed)
- Extensions last for one year
- Building owners will not be granted more than 2 extensions for the same building
- To be eligible for an extension, one must prove either:
- Documented inability to complete energy audit and retro-commissioning
- Financial Hardship of the Building
- Owners may file for a deferral for the 2014 cycle or later cycles by December 31 of each year
- The deferral period lasts for the full 10 years
- The City will grant a deferral if the property meets current NYC Energy Conservation Code (NYCECC) eligibility requirements:
- A building must be less than 10 years old, OR
- has undergone significant rehabilitation in the 10 years prior to the LL87 filing
- and all base building systems comply with NYCECC
For questions or requests regarding LL87 filings, you can email email@example.com, and for general inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.