Responsibilities of Land lord to comply with Local Law 55:New York City law requires that landlords of buildings with three or more apartments — or buildings of any size where a tenant has asthma — take steps to keep their tenants’ homes free of pests and mold. This includes safely fixing the conditions that cause these problems.Read full content here.
Landlord must Inspect every apartment and the building’s common areas for cockroach and rodent infestations, mold and the conditions that lead to these hazards, at least once a year and more often if necessary. Landlords must also respond to tenant complaints or requests for an inspection.
Use integrated pest management (IPM) practices to safely control pests and fix building-related issues that lead to pest problems.
• Remove pest nests and thoroughly clean pest waste and other debris using a HEPA vacuum. Make sure to limit the spread of dust when cleaning.
• Repair and seal any holes, gaps or cracks in walls, ceilings, floors, molding, base boards, around pipes and conduits, and around and within cabinets.
• Attach door sweeps to all doors that lead to hallways, basements or outside.
• Remove all water sources for pests by repairing drains, faucets and other plumbing materials that collect water or leak.
• Use pesticides sparingly. If pesticides must be used to correct a violation, they must be applied by a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation–licensed pest professional.
Remove indoor mold and safely fix the problems that cause mold.
• Remove any standing water, and fix leaks or moisture conditions.
• Move or cover furniture with plastic sheeting.
• Limit the spread of dust. Use methods such as sealing off openings (e.g., doorways,ventilation ducts) and gently misting the moldy area with soap or detergent and water before cleaning.
• Clean moldy area with soap or detergent and water. Dry the cleaned area completely.
• Clean any visible dust from the work area with wet mops or HEPA vacuums.
• Throw away all cleaning-related waste in heavy-duty plastic bags and seal securely.
• To clean 10 or more square feet of mold in a building with 10 or more apartments, landlords must use a New York State Department of Labor–licensed mold assessor and remediator.These licensed workers must comply with New York City Administrative Code section 24-154 and New York State Labor Law Article 32.
Land lord must
New York City Local law 55 requires that landlords take steps to keep their tenants’ homes free of pests and mold. This includes safely fixing the conditions that cause these problems.Tenants also play a role in preventing indoor allergens.
Track your building violations issued by all city agencies. Contact us should you want to register your property with US